Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day two - Favorite 5 books I've read

So day two...and we're rolling.   Top 5 books I've read IMO

My Side of the Mountain is a 1959 young-adult fiction novel by Jean Craighead George 
  I really liked this book as a kid.  I believe it was in 5th grade that we read this.  The dude hollows out a tree and lives in it...then he trains a falcon to help him get food.  He's wildly resourceful and smart.  I just got LOST in this book as a kid and wanted to just go live in the woods.  I was all "forget this noise, I'm going to go hollow out a TREE!" 

4 SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper by Howard Wadson

  I just read this a few months ago and LOVED IT.  It's not a big box book per se....but the true stories and inside knowledge of the most elite fighting force in U.S. history was amazing.  Real MAN STUFF. (Tim Allen shows up and goes "argh argh arghhhhhhh")   As a gun fanatic and aggressive defender of democracy myself, this book really got my blood pumping.


3  Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. This semi-autobiographical work, subtitled "Non-Religious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality," is a collection of essays and personal reflections chronicling the author's growing understanding of the nature of God and Jesus, (pulled this bad boy from wiki)
   ok..this book is AMAZING.  The people who get at me for being very grounded and 'dude-ish' when I preach would HATE this book.  It's real...  he very comically talks about his journey of discovering REAL faith in Jesus.   He really displays the failures of the church and RELIGION in general and makes things very fun to explore.  I can't say enough about this book.  Ive read it tons.  He writes like a blogger honestly.


2  The shack.   The protagonist of author William P. Young's novel meets God in person.    Ok...this...this book....I just dunno what to say.   This book has changed my life EVERY TIME IVE READ IT.   It starts with a very haunting story of a child abduction and in the second half...a man meets God face to face.   I dunno....If you've read it (*which milllllions of people have)  you'll understand.  It is the MOST POWERFUL BOOK I've ever read (aside from the bible).   I would PAY people to read this book.  Ten bucks if you realllly read it...I mean it!!

1  Bible  No...I don't feel like I HAVE to say this.  This collection of parchments contains the very answers of our existence.  God's love for us, our failures and His solution to getting us back into His arms.  It has helped me break out of the D-bag, selfish, conniving, attention-hungry LOSt person that I was supposed to be.  I could go on and on (and I do...every sunday) but yeah....this book has changed my life and almost every member of my family and my friends. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a Pastor?! I didn't know that. See your blog is educational and humorous (not because your a pastor, because your funny) How long have you been a pastor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I FB messaged you a response Jenny

    ReplyDelete